CALL FOR APPLICATIONS FOR THE POSTGRADUATE PROGRAMME (ACADEMIC YEAR 2020 – 2021)
The Department of Communication and Media Studies at the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, in collaboration with the Department of Sociology of the University of the Aegean, organises and operates for the academic year 2020-2021 an Intensive Postgraduate Programme (IPP) MSc in “Media and Refugee / Migration Flows" which awards a Postgraduate Diploma in the following specializations:
- «News media of refugee flows»
- «Communication management of refugee / migration flows»
The purpose and objectives of the intensive Interdepartmental Postgraduate Programme is the postgraduate training of graduates in communication, media and journalism, as well as executives from the private and public sector in this field, regarding valid and objective information of citizens. Additionally, the IPP will provide opportunities to students to investigate the communication management of refugee/migration flows in order to promote a positive response to the ongoing tensions and crises created at national and cross-national level.
The graduation from the IPP requires the successful completion of the semester courses, the mandatory participation in the Summer School on Lesvos Island, and the successful completion of a master thesis.
The length of the IPP, which leads to awarding Postgraduate Diploma, is two (2) academic semesters, without summer break. An extension may be requested with an application by the student to the Special Interdepartmental Committee (SIC), however the maximum permissible time for completion of studies is three (3) semesters.
During the academic year 2020-2021 a maximum of forty (40) postgraduate students will be accepted to the IPP “Media and Refugee / Migration Flows”. Twenty (20) students will take part in the first specialisation «News media of refugee flows», and twenty (20) in the second specialisation «Communication management of refugee / migration flows».
Deadline for applicants of countries outside of the EU/EEA: 30/05/2020
Deadline for applicants of EU/EEA countries: 19/07/2020
The tuition fees for the IPP amounts to 2.800€ for students for EU/EEA countries, distributed in two equal instalments of each 1,400€. The tuition fees for students from countries outside of the EU/EEA amounts to 6.000€, distributed in two equal instaments of each 3.000€.
The first instalment is due upon registration prior to the winter semester and the second instalment has to be accomplished not later than the last day of the first week of the spring semester. In case of permanent termination of study or student removal for any reason, the already paid attendance fees are not refunded. In case of reduced payment of school fees, the rate of reduction shall be applied equally to all instalments.
Selected students may apply for exemption from tuition fees by presenting an individual or family income tax statement of the latest available financial year. The exempted students should not exceed 30% of the selected participants. Those who receive a scholarship from another source are not eligible for exemption.
Candidates for this IPP accomplished the first cycle of studies which would consist of 180 or 240 ECTS and have acquired degrees in Communication and Media Studies, Journalism, Public Relations, Political Sciences, Social Sciences, Law Studies, or other relevant academic fields, and holders of any undergraduate university degree in fields similar to the IPP. Graduates from faculties of Communication, Media and Journalism or similar in Greece and abroad are accepted by priority under the condition that they meet all other entry requirements. Foreign students are strongly advised to check the following website with a regularly updated list of foreign Higher EducationInstitutions (HEIs) recognized by DOATAP, the “Hellenic Naric”: (http://www.doatap.gr/).
Additional skills and educational credentials that will be submitted and considered should be formally granted. The finalisation of the participants follows a personal interview (Candidates residing outside Athens and abroad will be interview via Skype) and is based on the following criteria:
- The overall grade of the postgraduate degree/diploma: 20%
- Adequate knowledge of the English language: 15%
- Possession of a second degree and/or other postgraduate degrees in a subject related to the IPP or relevant publications: 15%
- Related specialization to the field of the IPP, research activity and/or professional experience (participation in conferences, participation in research or educational programmes): 20%
- Personal interview by the committee in order to ascertain the academic experience, performance, and interests of the candidates and is evaluated on a 1-10 scale: 30%
- The candidates may be invited again to follow-up interview, in the event of a tie for the last position
For the application procedure the candidates are invited to submit in time the following documents:
- Completed application form (to be downloaded from the programme’s website)
- Photocopy of Identity Card (two sides) or Passport
- Detailed CV with photo in Europass format
- Copy of degree certified by recognized entity, such as a university, local authority, consulate, police, and lawyer or similar depending on national law (please make sure to visit the website of the “Hellenic Naric”, the official Greek certificating institution for foreign degrees)
- Certified copy of grades transcript
- Proof of advanced knowledge of English language (level C1)
- Two letters of recommendation, of which at least one must be from academic person (scholar, university professor, researcher, etc)
- Copy of thesis of the completed first cycle study (or title and a summary thereof if incomplete by the time of application or reference that it is not mandatory for the candidate’s first-cycle programme) should be sent via mail
- Academic papers, published either in journals or in the proceedings of international conference proceeding should be sent via mail
- Any other relevant information may be submitted, such as letter of intent, volunteer programs, etc. (discretion of applicant)
Interested parties can be consulted on the IPP’s (https://www.migromedia.gr) website on the structure of the IPP, rules of operation and any subject related to the way and procedure of their selection.
Greek graduates of foreign universities are admitted to the MSc Programme provided they submit in due time a certificate of equivalence of their degree (or provide proof for their application thereof) from DOATAP, according to Law 3328/2005 (A '80) (http://www.doatap.gr/)
Applicants must submit in person or via postal service their completed application form and relevant documents (except for those specifically requested to be sent via mail) to the IPP Secretariat of the Department. The Secretariat accepts applications on working days from 10.00 am to 15.00 pm.
National and Kapodistrian University of Athens
Department of Communication and Media Studies
Office of Postgraduate Studies
1 Sophocleous Str., 105 59 Athens
1 st floor, Room 104
Tel.: 0030 210 3689291, 210 3689290, 210 3689444
Oral assessments are preliminarily scheduled from Wednesday, September 9th to Wednesday, September 16th, 2020. During the interview you will have the opportunity to explain your interest in the topic of migration and refugee related subjects, choice to participate in the programme and career goals. Moreover, you can describe in more detail your relevant professional, academic and personal experiences. You will also have the chance to learn more about the programme and could ask any remaining questions.
Lectures and all other educational activities will begin on Monday, October 5st .
Head of the Department of Communication and Media Studies
*Professor George Pleios