Anastasia Chalkia has been assigned as a course tutor of Sociology at the University of West Attica (2018-2019) and at the MA in Criminology at the Panteion University (2014-15). Also she is a registered teaching staff at the National Centre of Public Administration and Local Government (since 2018). Since 2013, she is working at the Greek Asylum Service, first as a Special Scientific Personel responsible for the Status Refugee Determination and then she has held positions of responsibility as a Head at the Regional Asylum Office in Leros and at the Asylum Unit in Athens. Since 2015, she is a National Trainer certified by the European Asylum Support Service in the module “Inclusion in International Protection”. Also, she is a Deputy Country Representative at the European Crime Prevention Network (2017-present).
She holds a Ph.D. (2012) from the Panteion University and a MA in Criminology from the same University.
She was a member of the Working Group at the European Asylum Support Office for the preparation of the tool: "Asylum Procedure. Standards and indicators" (2018). She was appointed as Substitute Delegate of the Hellenic National Commission for Human Rights at the 2nd Committee for Migration, Ministry of Interior, (2013-2014, 2014-2015). She was member of the Jury for the European Crime Prevention Award under the Italian and the Lithuanian Presidency of the Council of the EU (2013 & 2014) and Assistant of the Chair under the Hellenic Presidency of the Council of the EU. During the period 2014-2015 she was Vice-President at the Central Council for Crime Prevention (Ministry of Citizen Protection). She was a Scientific Collaborator at the MA in Criminology (Panteion Criminology, 2007-2016). She has been trained in several modules of the European Asylum Support Office in support of the promotion of quality and harmonization in the area of asylum: Common European Asylum System, Interview Techniques, Interview with Children, Evidence Assessment, Inclusion in Interantional Protection, Country of origin information.
She has numerous publications and presentations in national and international congresses on asylum; racist violence, and on criminology. Also, she has written a monograph (Crime Prevention and public participation, Dionikos, 2017, Greek / English) and she has edited two volumes in Criminology (Volume in Honour of Professor James Farsedakis. The contemporary criminality, its confrontation and the science of Criminology, Vol. I,II, Nomiki vivliothiki, 2012 & (assist.) Criminology in the face of contemporary challenges, On the occasion of thirty years of activity of the Hellenic Society of Criminology (1978-2009), 2011).
- (2018) (with Giouzepas, A.) "It's just Europe's turn:EU's and Greece's response to the current refugee and migration flows", Kury, H., Redo, H. (eds) Refugees and migrants in law and policy - Challenges and opportunities for Global Civil Education, Springer Verlag, pp.436-456, DOI:10.1007/978-3-31972159-0_20.
- (2018) The impact of criminal violence on the integration of refugees and immigrants, Criminology (Egklimatologia), Vol. 1/2018, [in Greek].
- (2016) "Aspects of hate crimes in Greece and proposals for their confrontation", in Gasparinatou, M. (Ed.) Crime in Crisis, Essays in honor of Professor Dr. Νestor Courakis, Ant.N.Sakkoula, Athens-Komotini, pp.1694-1722, [in Greek].
- (2013) “Racially motivated crimes in Greece in the age of austerity: from victimization to the onslaught of democracy", Criminology (Egklimatologia), Vol. 1/2013, pp.80-88, [in Greek].
- (with M.Lempesi & J.Tsiganou) “Social integration in Greece: the refugee perspective”, 18-21 September 2019, 19th Annual Conference of ESC, Gent.
- (with M.Lempesi & J.Tsiganou) “Subjective meanings of the transition and integration. The case of Syrian refugees in Greece”, 2nd Congress: Social Sciences today. Dilemmas and perspectives beyond the crisis, 06-09.06.209, Scholl of Social Sciences, Univesity of Aegean, Lesbos.
- (with A.Giouzepas) “Migration / refugee flows and challenges for Europe and Greece: stable institutional responses in liguid political environment”, 2nd Congress: Social Sciences today. Dilemmas and perspectives beyond the crisis, 06-09 June.2019, Schooll of Social Sciences, Univesity of Aegean, Lesbos.
- “Free legal assistance in the Greek mainland: The case of the Regional Asylum Office of Attica", Greek Council for Refugees (GCR), Athens Bar Association, 22 June 2018, Athens.
- "Profile of the asylum applicants and the beneficiaries of International Protection", 3rd Congress of the Department of Political Science and International Studies "Democracy, Development and Safety: politics in the context of uncertainty", University of Peloponnese, 9 December 2017, Loutraki.
- “International Protection: The Greek Asylum ServiceI", 5th Congress of the Hellenic Sociological Society & Department of Communication and Media of the National University of Athens, Harokopio University, 10-12 December 2015, Athens.
- “Aspects of hate crimes in Greece today", Criminological Conference in Honor of Emeritus Professor Nestor Courakis, Athens Bar Association, 2-4 April 2015, Athens.
- “THB and connection with illegal immigration”, CEPOL Seminal “Markets related to illegal immigration detecting-tackling-repatriating”, Zappeio Mansion, 2 June 2014, Athens.
- “Immigration and hate crimes: A long journey of victimization”, 4th National Conference: “Social identities and social cohesion. Challenges and Prospects”, Hellenic Sociological Society, Harokopio University 12-14 December 2013, Athens.