University campus, GR-54124 Thessaloniki
Fields of specialization: European integration, EU political systems and policies and Comparative Politics. Migration and refugee law. International politics. Academic research covers issues of European political integration, immigration policy and international humanitarian and refugee law.
Degree is law from the University of Athens, MA in comparative politics from the University of Paris I - Sorbonne and MA in development cooperation from the Université Libre de Bruxelles). PhD (2001) from ULB on regional integration in Central America.
Chair of the Asylum Working Party in the Council of Ministers of the EU during the Cyprus Presidency of the Council of the EU in 2012. Independent expert in several international projects on migration and asylum since 2003. Director of the Greek Asylum Service between 2011-2.
Between 2016-2018 administrator in the Policy Department for Citizens’ Rights and Constitutional Affairs of the European Parliament in Brussels, dealing with the institutional aspects of Brexit and on issues of civil liberties.
Since 2008 Associate Professor (previously Assistant Professor and Lecturer), Department of Political Sciences, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki
Courses: Comparative Politics, History, Theories and institutions of the European Union, Political Systems of US and Russia, Current issues in international politics, EU policies and institutions, International organisations. ECTS Coordinator since 2012
2016-2018. European Parliament.Administrator. Policy Department for Citizens’ Rights and Constitutional Affairs covering the Committees on Civil liberties (LIBE) and Constitutional Affairs (AFCO). Particularly dealing with the impact of Brexit.
1/2012-1/2013. Permanent Representation of the Republic of Cyprus. Brussels. Chair of the Asylum Working Party of the Council of Ministers during the Cyprus presidency of the Council (2nd semester of 2012); responsible for the completion of the Common European Asylum System.
6/2011- 1/2012. Ministry for Citizen Protection. Athens. Director of the Asylum Service.
1/2002-12/2002. Greek Council for Refugees. Athens. Legal advisor. Member of the Legal Assistance Unit; responsible for European programs and legal support for refugees and asylum seekers in Greece
- “International protection in Greece - background information for the LIBE Committee Delegation to Greece, 22-25 May 2017” European Parliament, Brussels, 2017
- «Democracy through regional integration: the role of institutions» (with K. Nyman Metcalf). Intersentia Brussels (2015).
- «The Hirsi Jamaa et al. V. Italy case: refugee protection in international waters». Comments on the a/m ruling of the European Court of Human rights. To Syntagma. Vol. 2-3-4/2013. pages 862-901. A. Sakkoulas eds. Athens. October 2013.
- "The Europeanization of immigration and asylum in Greece (1990-2012)”. The International Journal of Sociology - special issue on ‘Migration and Development: International Comparative Perspectives’, Vol. 43, 3. Fall 2013. pp. 72-90.
- “‘Is this really what I voted for?’ on the Legitimacy of European integration” (with T. Kerikmae and K. Nyman Metcalf). Baltic Journal of Law and Politics.Volume 6, Issue 1 (Jun 2013) pp. 45-62.
- “Central American Integration System (SICA)”. In ‘the Democratization of International Institutions” Edited by Lucio Levi, Giovanni Finizio and Nicola Vallinoto. Routledge. Taylor and Francis group. London – New York. 2013.
- “The democratization elements in the regional integration process of Central America”. Electronic edition of the international research on the elements of democracy in supranational regional organisms (International Democracy Watch) carried out by the Turin University Center for Studies in Federalism. September 2010.
- “Social Rights at European, regional and international level – challenges for the 21st century”. Editing, tranlation of texts into English and contribution in this collective book. Bruylant Brussels. 2010. 408 p.
- «Social rights in Latin American regional texts». Contribution (pages 119-148) in the collective book entitled «Social rights at supranational level around the world – challenges and perspectives». NikitasAliprantis (ed.). Athens. Papazisis editions. 2008. 473 pages.
- “Unaccompanied minors asylum seekers in Greece” (with Georgia Dimitropoulou). Research commissioned by the Office of the UNHCR in Greece. In Greek and English. 112 pages. April 2008.
- «Regional Integration and Courts of Justice» (with Prof. K. Nyman-Metcalf). Brussels. Intersentia publications. Antwerpen. 2005.
- “The new “Dubliners”. An appraisal of the implementation of Council Regulation 343/2003 (with P.Papadimitriou).Journal of Refugee Studies Vol. 18 (3) Oxford University Press, Oxford. pp. 299-318.