Research Interests: Collective action, Social movements, Cultural identities in contemporary post-industrial societies, Social exclusion
Studies: Undergraduate studies: University of Bologna, Italy (B.Sc in Sociology, 1980)
Postgraduate studies: University of Paris VIII, France (M.Sc in Cultural Sociology, 1982),
University of Athens, Greece (PhD in Political Sociology, 1994)
2016 - Head of the Department of Sociology, University of the Aegean, Greece
2017 – Professor, Department of Sociology, University of the Aegean
2017 - Director of the “Laboratory of Collective Actions & Social Movements”, Department of Sociology, Social Sciences, University of the Aegean (2017)
2010 – 2017 Associate Professor, Department of Sociology, University of the Aegean, Greece
2003 – 2010 Assistant Professor, Department of Sociology, University of the Aegean
2000 - 2016 Coordinator and researcher of the “Laboratory of Social & Political Institutions”, Department of Sociology, Social Sciences, University of the Aegean
From 1987 to 2003 he worked at the Ministry of the Aegean as sociologist, responsible for social policy
1998 – 2001 Geography of Heath and Care, Department of Geography, University of the Aegean
1998 – 2001 Social Geography, Department of Geography, University of the Aegean
1999 – 2013 Evolution of Sociological Thought, Department of Sociology, University of the Aegean
2000 – 2001 Sociology of the Family, Department of Sociology, University of the Aegean
2000 – 2005 Sociology of Urban Areas, Department of Sociology, University of the Aegean
2001 – 2004 Social Movements & Civil Society, Department of Sociology, University of the Aegean
2001 – 2019 Social Identity in the Postmodern Society, Department of Sociology, Un of the Aegean
2005 – 2019 Sociology of Social Movements, Department of Sociology, University of the Aegean
2005 – 2016 Collective Action & Mediation of Interests, Department of Sociology, Un. of the Aegean
2005 – 2009 Social Cohesion & Social Exclusion, Depart of Sociology, Univ. of the Aegean
2010 – 2019 Research on Social Exclusion & Marginalization, D. of S., U. of the Aegean
2010 – 2019 Social Exclusion, Vulnerable Social Groups and Marginalization
2003 – 2004 Environmental Policy and Management, Environment Department, UotA
2004 - 2005 European Planning and Representation of Interests, Department of Geography
2005 – 2006 L'intervention Sociologique d'Alain Touraine, Department of Sociology
2014 – 2015 Lectures in master programs of the Department of Social Anthropology and
History of the University of the Aegean, the Department of Social Anthropology and the Department of Social Policy of Panteion University of Athens
Other teaching activities
1985 – 2000 Teaching in four Centers and Institutes for Vocational Training
- Scientific Coordinator (May 2016 – February 2017) “Refugee crisis and the Greek Public Services: mapping of the contribution of public services in Lesvos concerning reception, registration, accommodation and care facilities, and the asylum procedures” (funded by the Koinoniko Polykentro of ADEDY) (https://tinyurl.com/ycvss2n3).
- Scientific Coordinator (Feb 2015 – Mars 2016) “Monitoring of anonymous online markets of synthetic drugs” (funded by the Cyprus Antidrug Council).
- Scientific Coordinator (Apr 2009 – July 2010) “The profile of 3rd grade students who have never used addictive substances: Identifying the protective factors and their views on them” (funded by the Cyprus Antidrug Council and the EU).
- Researcher (June 2004 - Nov. 2005) “Enhancing the Labour Force to Overcome the Impact of Enlargement” (Acronym: Qualifying Labour for Enlargement: Q-LABEL) (funded by the European Commission).
- Researcher (Nov. 2002 – May 2005) “Development of Quality System for Advisory Support and Employment Services” (funded by EQUAL Community Initiative).
- Scientific Coordinator (1999-2003) “Registration and evaluation of staff and equipment necessities of Hospitals, Health Centers and Regional Clinics in the Aegean Islands” (“IPPOKRATIS” Program).
- Scientific Coordinator (Feb. 1988 – Sept.1989) “Young people in Lesvos: objective and subjective parameters for the assessment of their social, cultural and economic integration” (Ministry of the Aegean).
- Scientific Coordinator (1988) “A proposal for the restructuring of the Leros State Psychiatric Hospital combined with the deinstitutionalization of people with mental disorder” (Proposal for Reform to the Ministry Health).
- Researcher (1979 -1980) “The connection between university students and the realities of work: values and forms of attitudes” (Institute of Sociology, Faculty of Political Sciences, University of Bologna).
- Researcher (1978-1980) “Industrial rationalization and worker associationism: a Greek case” Institute of Sociology, Faculty of Political Sciences, University of Bologna).
- Psimitis, M. (2017). Social movements in everyday life: Identity, solidarity and prefiguration in contemporary ‘cosmopolitan communities’. Thessaloniki: Tziola, 2017 (in Greek).
- Psimitis, M. (2011 ). Introduction to new social movements. Athens: Atrapos (in Greek).
- Psimitis, M. (1999). Corporatist intermediation and social control: Theoretical aspects of the aggregation of interests. Athens: Ellinika Grammata (in Greek).
- Psimitis, M., Georgoulas S. & Nagopoulos N. (2017). “Refugee Crisis and the Greek Public Services in Lesvos”. Journal of Greek Statistical Association, Vol. 10, No 1-2, 17-34.
- Psimitis, M. (2011). “Collective Identities Versus Social Exclusion: The December 2008 Greek Youth Movement”. Greek Review of Social Research, special issue, 136 C’, 111-133.
- Psimitis, M. (2011). “The Protest Cycle of Spring 2010 in Greece”, Social Movement Studies, 10(2), 191-197. (http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/14742837.2011.562365).
- Psimitis, M. (2008). “Non-Governmental Organizations and Grass Roots Movements: Institutional vs. Contentious Orientations”. Greek Political Science Review, v. 32, Dec., 64-94 (in Greek).
- Psimitis, M. (2004). “L'action collective en tant que facteur de redéfinition de l’identité collective : Le cas du mouvement religieux en Grèce”. Esprit Critique, V. 06. N. 3, 202-222 (www.espritcritique.org/0603/esp0603article13.pdf).
- Psimitis, M. (2002). “Social movements in Europe: Processes of new identities formation in the European integration”. Social Science Tribune, v. 33, Sept., 47-80 (in Greek).
- Psimitis, M. (1999). “Work, time, identity and solidarity: Change of values and Youth Movement”. Syncrhona Themata, V. 71-72, Dec., 162-170 (in Greek).
- Psimitis, M. (1996). “Alternative social movements: Searching for the feasible between subjective needs and state policies”. Greek Political Science Review, v. 8, Nov., 17-50 (in Greek).
Chapters in books
- Psimitis, M. (2018a). “Critique of the Marxist critique of the solidarity economy”. In Nikos Serdedakis & S. Tompazos (eds), Contentious Cycle of Protest and Institutional Outcomes. ), Aspects of the Greek crisis: Contentious cycle of protest and institutional outcomes. Athens: Gutenberg
- Psimitis, M. (2018b). “Social movements and NGO’s vis-à-vis ‘civil society: Complementary feedback or reciprocal rejection?”. In Seferiadis (ed.), Contentious politics and social movements in 21st century. Athens: Themelio (forthcoming) (in Greek).
- Psimitis, M. (2016). “Collective Identities Versus Social Exclusion: The December 2008 Greek Youth Movement”. In Ch. Petropoulou, A. Vitopoulou & Ch. Tsavdaroglou (Research Group Invisible Cities) (eds.), Urban and Regional Social Movements (pp. 67-93), April, Thessaloniki (https://aoratespoleis.wordpress.com/author/aorates/).
- Psimitis, M. (2016). “Complex processes of Social Movements Construction: The Revolt of the Greek Youth in December 2008”. In A-I D. Metaxas (ed.). Political Science: Interdisciplinary and Contemporary Investigation of Political Action. Volume II. Political Psychology: Pre-Definitions and Post-Definitions of Political Behavior (pp. 391-412). Athens: Sideri (in Greek).
- Psimitis, M. (2014). “Contradictions of contemporary social movements in front of post-modern democracy: Emancipation and elitist formation as corresponding prospects of enlarging and shrinking democracy”. In S. Seferiades (ed.), The Democratic Operation in Turning Point: Challenges and Threats in the Early 21st Century (pp. 411-438). Athens: Nissos/EEPE (in Greek).
- Psimitis, M. (2009). “In 'civil society', ‘citizens’ against ‘insurgents’: Organizational, identity and action differences between NGOs and social movements”. In A. Makridimitris (ed.), ‘New Public Administration', Corporate Social Responsibility and Civil Society (pp. 967-988). Athens/Thessaloniki: Sakoula (in Greek).
- Psimitis, M. (2007). “The model of the Empire as a global political subject in the work of Hardt and Negri and its relation to the concept of immanent power in Foucault”. In S. Papaioannou (ed.), Theoretical and methodological issues of Social Sciences (pp. 396-407). Athens: Kritiki (in Greek).
- Psimitis, M. (1999). “The individual choice as a factor of cultural identity in a context of complexity: The case of solidarity”. In Chr. Konstantopoulou (ed.), 'We' and the 'Others', Reference to Trends and Symbols (pp. 85-107). Athens: Typothito – Dardanos, (in Greek).
- Psimitis, M, (1988). Social consensus and political rationality", Social Research Review, Vol. 68, 3-27 (in Greek).
- Psimitis, M. (2018). “Participation, networks, decentralization: ‘Flexible practices’ in the signification and administration of ‘humanitarian crisis’ situations”. Paper presented at the Conference of the Foundation of the Hellenic Parliament for Parliamentarism and Democracy: Social and political representation: Challenges and Prospects of the Republic in the 21st Century, Athens, 15-17 December 2016 (forthcoming).
- Psimitis, M. (2016). “‘Relocalization and Prefigurative Movements’ as Social Networks against Globalization: the Construction of Local Alternatives to Global Capitalism”. Paper presented at the 1st International Conference in Contemporary Social Sciences: Crisis and the Social Sciences: New Challenges and Perspectives, Rethymno, 10 - 12 June. Electronic Conference Proceedings: http://icconss.soc.uoc.gr/images/ecp/ICCONSS_16_8_1.pdf (http://icconss.soc.uoc.gr/en/authors-information/ecp.html) Paper 8.1.
- Psimitis, M. (2015). “Solidarity economy, peer production, degrowth and relocalization movements: conceptual associations between a radical political project and the capitalist 'reconquest'”. Paper presented at the 5th conference of the Greek Sociological Association: The Greek Society at the Crisis Crossroad: Six Years Later. Athens, 10-12 December. (http://www.hellenicsociology.gr/sites/default/files/praktika_5ou_sunedriou_me_isbn.pdf) pp. 757-768 (in Greek).
- Psimitis, M. (2014). “The relocalization movements as an accomplishment of anti-globalization. Theoretical clarifications on new collective actions and social transformation procedures”. Paper presented at the 10th Conference of the Greek Society of Political Science: From ‘Metapolitefsi’ to the crisis: Views and Prospects of the Third Hellenic Republic. Athens, 18-20 December (in Greek).
- Psimitis, M. (2008). “’People’, ‘class’, ‘multitude’ and 'elite': Theoretical limits of the analysis of social conflicts and collective actions in the contemporary world”. Paper presented at the 15th Conference: Issues of Methodology of Research in Social Sciences, Department of Sociology, University of Crete, 3-6 October (in Greek).
- Psimitis, M. (2007). “Mass media and social movements: A relation of mutual exploitation or of cultural tension?”. Paper presented at the 1st Conference of the School of Social Sciences, University of the Aegean: The Social Sciences Today, Mytilene (pp. 583-597). Athens: Sakoula (in Greek).
- Psimitis, M. (2006). “Diaspora, identity and collective action: Preservation or production of cultural singularity?”. Paper presented at the International Conference: Diaspora, Exchanges and Interculturalism. Aristotelian University of Thessaloniki, 7-8 April (in Greek).
- Psimitis, M. (2005). “Individualization and collective action in a contemporary perspective: Time of global movements and counter-movements? Paper presented at the Panellenic Conference: Issues of Methodology and Research in the Social Sciences, University of Crete, 18-21 November (in Greek).
- Psimitis, M. (2003). “L'action collective en tant que facteur de redéfinition de l'identité collective: Le cas du mouvement religieux en Grèce. In Proceedings of the International Conference of Sociology: “Alterité et Societé”, “Association Internationale des Sociologues de Langue Francaise”, CD-ROM.
- Psimitis, M. (2002). “Forms of collective action in Greece: Social movement and social counter-movements towards modernization project”. Paper presented at the International Sociological Conference: Sociology: Freedom Lesson. Association of Greek Sociologists, Thessaloniki, 8-10 November (in Greek).
- Psimitis, M. & Sevastakis N. (2001). “The ‘slim’ modernization in Greece: Aspects of the political and institutional reality and the creation of collective action”. Paper presented at the Conference: Ideological Currents and Trends of the intelligentsia in Greece Today. Sakis Karagiorgas Foundation, Athens, March (in Greek).